- Dr. Colby Stewart graduated from the University of Texas Ophthalmology residency program in Galveston in 1996. He completed a six-month fellowship in oculoplastic and reconstructive surgery before moving to Tennessee.
- He later received his specialty certification in 1998 by the American Board of Ophthalmology.
- In 2009, Dr. Stewart was one of the first to become re-certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology.
- From 1997 to 2003 Dr. Stewart worked in Middle Tennessee with local eye care providers and optometrists as their primary surgeon performing oculoplastic procedures, topical anesthetic cataract surgery, glaucoma procedures and a new form of refractive surgery called LASIK.
- In 1998 Dr. Stewart was the first surgeon to perform LASIK surgery in Cookeville and quickly became recognized across Middle Tennessee for his surgical skills.
- Dr. Stewart developed tracking and goal adjusting software for his LASIK practice. Many doctors, including Dr. Stewart, still use this software today to monitor their results and to insure that patients are good candidates for LASIK.
- Dr. Stewart returned to Texas to join his father at the Houston Eye Associates in 2003 where he received extensive training in management and surgical treatment of glaucoma.
- He has been a primary and secondary investigator in multiple FDA studies for new advances in both topical medications, surgical instrumentation and intraocular lens implants.